Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cold as Ice/Hot as Fire (you're a god, and i'm a liar)

I continue to fail to find Foucault's "ethics" satisfying. Or persuasive. As an interesting genealogy of the ways in which Christian asceticism develops out of certain Hellenic and Roman philosophical practices, especially Stoicism, Foucault captures my attention. But insofar as this analysis is meant to illuminate an _ethical_ dimension to life, and to the extent that this ethics is modeled after numerous _administrative_ examples (the soul as a ship, a bank, a house-hold, ect.), then Foucault seems to reinscribe a Christian figuration of the soul into Antiquity. I say this because, for instance, Plato and Aristotle--not to mention Heraclitus and Empedocles before them, and Diogenes after them--imagined the soul as an agonistic site of contestation and negotiation more closely resembling the Freudian tripartite psychic "structure" ego/s-ego/id, and not a technical/medical model of administration. There is also the ways in which Foucault's attention to "governmentality"--analyzed first in the context of a critique of neo-liberal economic rationalities--when it surfaces in his readings of the ancients repeats this self-same instrumental logic, "discovering" it in these texts (which may be true--but then, why build an ethic on the same rational foundations?)...

Anyway, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the prospect of my move coming up. My landlord was a douche about breaking my lease a month early--though, I also wasn't particularly interested in _asking_ either. Hopefully this won't really be a problem. It shouldn't be hard for them to find a new tenant, and anyway: it's not my issue: these people have been so regularly terrible to me, that the last thing on my mind is making sure _they're_ alright.

But this week also starts an insane blitzkrieg of "events"--Arendt Circle this weekend, and then our trip to VA for VATech's Gender and Technology. I still need to write my paper for this VA Tech conference.

Anyway. To finish "The Seducer's Diary". How about an ethic of boredom? Can we say that boredom is the ultimate evil, that it should be first philosophy to hold at bay this sensation? What would that look like?

1 comment:

Luke said...

an idle mind is the devil's playground.

Boredom sends you to hell. XD